News from Sewanti
Spring is the time of renewal, rejuvenation and blossoms!
The sunlight and warmth has returned to us after long hours of staying indoors. An important message of spring is cleansing. We often feel a deep urge to get rid of old unwanted items and create a new space in our homes. Ayurveda offers a great array of tools in the form of gentle detoxification and easy weight loss tips.
According to Ayurveda spring season which is wet, cool , heavy and slow is also called Kapha season.
Sedentary lifestyle and heavier foods of winter could bring Kapha disorders in spring season like cough cold allergies, sluggishness in mind and body and weight gain. The impurities within the body start to liquefy toxins flooding the micro-channels of the body making one feel sluggish and toxic.
Spring is the best time to cleanse the channels of the body.
Neelam's top 5 Tips for Spring
1. Diet For Spring Ayurveda recommends including bitter tasting foods comprising of vegetables like Karela, endives and dandelion and herbs such fenugreek and neem, pungent herbs like ginger, onion and garlic, cayenne and astringent tasting greens and variety of beans and pulses. Bitter taste destroys sweet cravings. Pungent taste improves digestion, circulation and metabolism. Astringent taste opens the channels of elimination, clearing excess mucus and moisture from the body. One could reduce Kapha aggravating sweet, sour and salty foods which could cause water retention at this time of the year. In common with the winter diet, avoid raw and cold foods, and replace with warm, lightly cooked meals. Avoid wheat and replace with Kapha reducing lighter grains such as quinoa, millet and barley.
2. Lifestyle: Wake up with the birds. Ayurveda suggests waking up in the morning before 6.00am to experience energetic qualities of lightness through- out the day. Spring fasting is observed by many Native American cultures as it helps to cleanse the blood after a long winter of eating fatty, heavy foods. Ayurveda suggests some simple mono diet fasts like Khitchari fasts or moong soup fasting. One could always choose a method suited to their doshas and on the advice of their Ayurvedic practitioner.
3. Exercise and Yoga practice The best way to counter the sluggish feeling of heaviness and congestion is to adopt more dynamic and stimulating yoga practice for spring. Sun salutations are ideal as they build up heat, working all the major muscles and to stimulate a sluggish digestion and aid detoxification Kappalabhati pranayama is good for generating internal heat and burning toxins.One could also adopt a vigorous aerobic activity such as swimming running or hiking to get the lymph moving in the body and prevent congestive issues. To increase the detoxifying effect try sauna, steam room, hot baths, and cardio-induced sweating.
4. Herbs : An excellent herbal formula to take for rejuvenation and detoxification is Sewanti Triphala plus. Triphala Plus is a potent 11:1 extract of: Terminalia Chebula, Terminalia Bellirica, Phyllanthus emblica, Phyllanthus niruri and Glycyrrhiza glabra. * Supports digestive function and nutrient assimilation * Gentle detox to normalize functions of liver and gall bladder * Cleanse the body of waste and enhances elimination & non habit forming * Correct constipation and supports health digestion * Strengthen eyes and dispels fatigue boosts energy * Phyllanthus niruri removes the calcification in bile duct. * Licorice reduces inflammation and soothe irritated tissues and harmonize the actions of other ingredients in a formula. * Detoxifies colon, corrects constipation without creating dependence * Can be used for all ages * Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily
5. Massage oil - Padmashri Tridosha oil Balancing Tridosha Oil(Vata- Pitta-Kapha Oil) * Maintains and preserves good health and stamina * Protects against pollution, UV radiation, extreme weather * Suitable for all age groups Uses: Restorative massage oil for all seasons Contains: Harmonizing herbs Triphala, Kushta, Sandalwood and Sesame oil